1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WRONG language download

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by jotti, May 4, 2008.

1. jotti

jotti New Member

Why can't I choose which language version of Gimp I want? I don't see any drop down menus or radio buttons at the download pages. I always get the Finnish version, though I'd prefer the English one. I use Mac OS 10.4.?, PowerPC.

Does every download contain all languages and I just have to find a setting somewhere to switch to some other language than my OS language? Or do I have to use a web browser that can lie about which language I use? Safari seems not to be able to do that.

2. Auria

Auria Member

Hi,

actually there is only one package to download, and this package contains all languages.

If you wish to use the english version of GIMP, apart from changing the finder's language to english, here's what you can do :

right-click on GIMP, open /Contents/Resources/share/locale

from there, you can see all available languages. You can just delete the ones you don't want (finnish might 'fi'? i'm not sure, anyway you can try deleting/moving away most/all of them and you'll fall back to english

3. jotti

jotti New Member

Thanks, that helped. So Gimp checks the language of the OS and that's it. All languages are there, but you don't have a choice of your own. That is moronic.

4. Auria

Auria Member

On linux there is a choice with environment variables, though on mac since we use a launcher and all, i'm not sure how that would integrate in the GUI. Indeed i would like it if they could integrate that in the preferences

5. plovemax

plovemax New Member

First I apologize for my english : it isn't my langage.

I think that it exist a solution. With the right click on gimp.app choose "open the package" or something like that. then go to /.../gimp.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ and open the gimp file with a text editor.
    Search the two ligns
    export LANG=`grep '\b'\`defaults read -g AppleLanguages | sed 's/.\(..\).*/\1/'\
    \`_ /usr/share/locale/locale.alias | sed -n 's/.*\(.._..\)\..*/\1/p;1q'`

Ad a # at the beginning of each one, like this
    # export LANG=`grep '\b'\`defaults read -g AppleLanguages | sed 's/.\(..\).*/\1/'\
    # \`_ /usr/share/locale/locale.alias | sed -n 's/.*\(.._..\)\..*/\1/p;1q'`

restart gimp, it should be in english. You must verify if you always have all the fonctions (blur, gaussian blur, etc.) Perhaps this tips make thoses fonctions disapears. No panic you juste have to remove the # (each one or just one : make try.)