1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to get started

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by Reave, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Reave

Reave New Member

My young brother introduced me to GIMP last May. I bought the book with CD and set about installing. I thought I had followed all the instructions but ' Cashing fonts' was as far as I could get. At that time our Flat screen iMac (a retirement present to my wife) was running OSX 10.2. Since then we have installed OSX 10.4 from the Tiger disc and a newer GIMP downloaded from your site. We now get the message GIMP cannot open X11.
    Not much progress there then.
    It might help if I knew if I made a mess of installing OSX 10.4 and X11, or GIMP, but I don't know how to find out.

I would still like to get started, could anyone point me in the right direction please?

2. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    hmm well the first thing that strikes me as odd is the fact that you said you paid for gimp...? Gimp is free, try looking at http://gimp.org and looking for Mac downloads. Otherwise, you might want to repost you question in the Wilbur Loves Apple section of the forum. They may be able to help you better.

BTW, Hello and welcome

3. B☠N3S

B☠N3S Active Member

Home Page:
    welcome aboard

4. MattSomethin

MattSomethin Active Member

school
    Home Page:
    Yes, Like Ajit said, Gimp is a free program, and from the looks of your writing it seems as though you have been scammed? Use the Gimp.org site for help.
    And welcome to Gimper.net, enjoy your stay

5. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    well its more than likely not a scam, but someone who just boxed it up and sold it. With open source programs like Gimp, this is perfectly legal.

6. MattSomethin

school
    Home Page:
    People are legally allowed to sell open source programs? Why would someone do that, when it could just be free? :question:

7. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    well to make money i suppose.

Some people take Gimp and then edit it, like GimpShop i think it is called, in which they have made a version of Gimp that is as close to Photoshop in looks as possible. I don't know if that one is free or not.

8. MattSomethin

school
    Home Page:
    GimpShop is free, but ow I know what your talking about! There's a Mac program, that takes Gimp, and makes it look like CS3.

9. Oakesyboy

Oakesyboy Active Member

Welcome.

10. Reave

Reave New Member

Thank you all for your replies and welcome messages.
    Free or not to free now there's a question (sorry Bard).
    What I bought and paid about £15.00 for, from Amazon, was book and CD, "GIMP 2 for Photographers" by Klaus Goelker. ISBN: 1-933952-03-2. www.rockynook.com.

I can't remember the version number of the CD that came with the book but I have downloaded a newer version from your website recently. I still can't get started though, I will go to the 'Wilber loves Apple' section of the forum as you suggest to see if I can progress from there.

11. sglider12

sglider12 Active Member

I work at Best Buy as a Digital Life Sales Associa
    Home Page:
    Wow you paid for something Gimp?!?!! That's crazy...

But anyway, I suggest as well that you take a look at the wilber-loves-apple section (all about Gimp for Macs). Once you get Gimp up and running, I recommend you take a look at the tutorials section found in this forum or visit some Gimp tutorial websites. I highly recommend you visit my Gimp tutorial blog as well: http://www.sglider12.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the Gimp! ^-^

12. Reave

Reave New Member

I hope it is alright to carry on with this topic in this forum.
    In view of your obvious enthusiasm for GIMP, I determined to start again and have another go at downloading GIMP for MAC OSX.
    I deleted previous GIMP downloads and install attempts, from both disc and your Web site and a rather doubtful download of X11.
    Hoping to just install X11 from my Tiger disc I found I had to reinstall all of Mac OSX Tiger from the disc, which I had done before, but this time I made certain that X11 was install.
    I then went to your Gimp website and downloaded and installed GIMP for Apple Mac OSX Tiger. Guess what, Gimp is up and running. ;D
    The problem I have now is just that iPhoto refuses to start. So I have Image Manipulation but no access to my four years or so of images. The images are not lost because the screen saver program can find them.
    Do you have any suggestions because I am out of my depth now? :(

13. Steve

Steve Member

Home Page:
    Welcome..

not too sure what your trying to say..

14. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

welcome =)

as i use linux and have barely any experience with mac, i cant help you there.

15. sglider12

sglider12 Active Member

I work at Best Buy as a Digital Life Sales Associa
    Home Page:
    Hey I'm gonna move this to the wilber-loves-apple section (the mac section for the Gimp). Hopefully someone over there will be able to help ya. ^-^

16. Auria

Auria Member

Hi,

detailed install instructions can be found here : http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/guides/install_tiger/

Note that you do not need to re-install the entire system to get X11.
    Now, your problem about iPhoto not working anymore is something else - you'll probably have more success calling Apple or your local shop about this, i really don't think it's normal...

17. Reave

Reave New Member

Thank you Auria.

With your latest suggestion, after first talking to Apple Support and then reading discussion notes on the Apple site iPhoto forum, I've got there, Photos and GIMP both ready to go!
    A pity I re-installed the entire system, to get X11, not knowing that it was both in the Tiger package and on your site on it's own.
    I have now also reinstalled iLife '08 and iPhoto has returned. ;D

Thank you
    Signed Reave