1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/tmp/skl alias

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by macfolk, Aug 29, 2008.

1. macfolk

macfolk New Member

When I run Gimp, it creates a skl folder in /private/tmp which contains an alias to the application. I also noticed in the preferences that brushes, gradients, etc. are being used from this aliases content rather than from the content of the app in the application folder. Is this normal? At one point in time, I was trying out compiling unix applications and macports. I got a macport version of Gimp to run and then later I followed the tutorial from wilber loves apple to compile my own Gimp from source. I thought I had cleaned those up. Don't know if that info is relevant, but I thought I should include it.

2. Auria

Auria Member

It is totally normal. The alias inside /tmp/skl just points to the app bundle, so it does get its file from the app bundle. This was just a trick we (Simone, actually) came up with to make it easier to package and more reliable. It's just because it's a UNIX app, so it expects to find its data files and libraries in a specific prefix that does not change. Since app bundles can be moved and renamed it's no good. So we use /tmp/skl as prefix - and the app simply re-creates the symlink beofre running.

3. macfolk

macfolk New Member

Thanks! That makes sense.