1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple Background. (First Tutorial :D)

Discussion in 'Gimp Tips & Tutorials' started by Octopod Squad, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Octopod Squad

Octopod Squad New Member

Im going to try a tutorial with you guys. So listen >:O

1. You start a wallpaper-based sized image of around 1024 x 768 (What I put) and make sure its full of white. (This is crazy simple, you don't need a picture for it.)

2. Get this render I picked off google images 5 minutes ago >:|
    (http://images.cb2.com/is/image/CB2/Alum ... Shiny?$lg$)

3. Before you use it you need to modify it a bit. Click the eye next to your background layer, and place the render somewhere in the middle.

4. Get out the fuzzy tool, click the WHITE background part of the image and press delete.

5. (NOW its time for the images) Make your background layer visible again by clicking the eye (Which should now appear as a black button) and place the render around the bottom right of the image. (Note that its a background, the toolbar at the bottom will cut off some of the image.) It will look like this.

[​IMG]

6. Next, you right click the render layer, and click "Alpha To Selection" You should have an outline of the render (After you deleted the background from step 4)

7. Make a new layer, name it "Shadow"

8. In this new layer, with the selection still on, fill it with plain black. It shall look like this.

[​IMG]

9. If you're lost, you should have 3 layers, one is the white background, one is the render, and one is the filled-in black of the render.

10. Selecting the shadow layer, get out the perspective tool, and use it so the shadow is flattened. When editing the perspective, make sure the top 2 squares are half from the bottom (Of the render layer) Move it down a bit. Now it shall look like this.

[​IMG]

11. Still with me? Okay, right click the shadow render (In the image) and goto Filters>Lights and Shadows> Drop Shadow. Turn the offsets both to 0 and uncheck "Allow Resizing". After the rendering is done, delete the shadow layer. Put the drop shadow layer below the render layer, and move it a bit up so the bottom of the render layer matches the middle of the drop shadow layer. It will look like this.

[​IMG]

12. We are not done yet >:O. Make a new layer, label it "Beam" Make a path that looks like it will go around the balls. Note that you will delete some of the beam later. After you are satisfied with your path, right click and goto Edit>Stroke Path. Check off "Stroke with a paint tool" Make sure you're using the brush "Circle (05)" At scaled 1.00, at the color of black.
    It will look a little something like this.

[​IMG]

13 . Merge the render layer with the shadow layer, and merge that layer with the background layer "Use 'Merge Down'" Use the fuzzy tool on the white part of the updated background layer, with a threshold of 75. Right click and goto Select>Invert. Now you are ready for some erasing. Erase the parts of the lines so it looks like the beam is going behind the ball. Do this to some, not all. It will look a little like this now.

[​IMG]

14. Make a new layer, and repeat steps 12 and 13, but with the brush "Circle (15)" and with a red-purple color. Make sure the erasing is the same as the black beam.

15. Right click the black beam layer, goto Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur. Blur with a radius of 10.

16. Do the same with the purple beam, but with a radius of 30.

And you are pretty much done :D Simple eh?

Result:

[​IMG]

If you are asking yourself, this tutorial might suck cause its my first tutorial and I made it in 10 minutes. So try to enjoy xD

2. lastonestanding

lastonestanding Member

pretty good tut but the wnd result of the pentooling doesnt really fit in with the pic

3. Stanley

Stanley Member

Student
    Home Page:
    Great first tutorial - better than mine, i didnt even include images although the end result was better :p - but one request for everyone who is posting a tutorial:

Can you please put the tutorial in a spoiler
    Code:
     [spoiler] TUTORIAL [/spoiler] 
    so it take less time to scroll down :)