1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about bringing up old topics

Discussion in 'Help with the forum and suggestions' started by Ajit, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    uhmm hmm whats the big deal :question:

i mean i don't do it, but if someone joins and sees something they really like from a while ago, and they have a question or comment about it, why can't they post? Why lock it?

ok so im directing this question to Sglider, i mean maybe it says it in the rules but i haven't looked for it.

2. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

i think perhaps it buries the newer topics?

3. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    i think "buries" is a major hyperbole here.

I mean theres a difference between bringing up an old topic and spamming a billion old topics after all

4. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

hm ... true ..

5. Oakesyboy

Oakesyboy Active Member

Dunno.

6. Siddharth

Siddharth Active Member

Home Page:
    I dont think there is anything wrong in bringing the old topics,specially if you have a question or additional comment to add.

But bringing up bunches of them just to increase your post count is wrong.It causes confusions.

7. sglider12

sglider12 Active Member

I work at Best Buy as a Digital Life Sales Associa
    Home Page:
    The reason why you shouldn't bring up old topics is because they are old and inactive. It confuses new, more important topics with the old ones that no one pays attention to. What's really annoying is when people respond to old posts only to thank the poster. If you really have to thank them, then PM them. Don't bring up a mess of confusion to everyone. If you have a question about the old post, then PM someone about it and again, don't bring up a mess of confusion to everyone.

8. David

David Member

Web Developer, PHP Programmer, Web Designer
    Well, can't argue with sglider since she made it clear. I also don't see anything wrong with bringing up old posts as long as the poster has a solid question(s)

9. Steve

Steve Member

Home Page:
    Ya, but sometimes I think about a topic or thread during the day then when I get home to post about it...the topic is locked. Some topics get locked that are only a few days old. I do wish you would stop locking threads. Is there really something wrong with expressing your thoughts even if the topic is old? Yes, sometimes it gets a little annoying when someone new brings up old topics just to say something like nice tut, or cool..this bothers me..Yet, if that person says something intellegent I don't mind that person bring up the old topic. Please, do not lock threads that haven't beaten to a bloody pulp with comments.

10. sglider12

sglider12 Active Member

Home Page:
    Which ones are these? The ONLY ones I've locked have been inactive since about January where there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to respond to them. Please support your statement.

Yes there is. Like I have stated before, they are old and inactive. The more important topics are confused with the old ones and everyone else who doesn't check dates mistake them as new, and we get a whole mess of "Great job, I like it, etc." If you really have something that you are just dying to ask the thread starter about, then PM them. If they aren't active on the forums anymore, then PM someone else.

As for now, locking threads will still continue.

11. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    i think locking threads is almost a whole another debate in its self, but i do agree that we're kinda "lock" crazy around here

12. sglider12

sglider12 Active Member

Home Page:
    We wouldn't be if people stopped.

13. Siddharth

Siddharth Active Member

Home Page:
    actually most of the topics locked are in the suggestion box
    when one suggestion has been cleared out then there's no further need to argue on it and the thread goes offtopic accusing each other

as for the old topic,as sarah stated earlier, you can PM the author to give a thanks or ask a question.why to create a confusion by bringing it up once again.

14. Danation

Danation New Member

There are many, many reasons why old threads should not be locked. This very thread is a case in point.

What if somebody has new information or new ideas?

What if somebody has further questions? And please don't tell me to PM the author. Anybody who knows anything about forums knows that often the author is long gone. So the person is forced to create a new thread? Doesn't that clutter things up more? Also, isn't it valuable for the forum to have those questions answered publicly? So that if somebody else has the same question, it gets answered? Rather than having your inbox filled by a bunch of new people asking the same question?

Also "confusion"? Are you kidding me? Who is confused when somebody posts in an old thread? I think you really ought to consider the fact that your members are more intelligent than that. You can speak for yourself if it confuses you.

Another reason brought up was annoyance. I'm not sure about how it works here, but isn't a forum supposed to be for the members? Sorry if you're annoyed, but that's your problem. Every forum has to deal with n00bs. Get over it, it's part of the job. If you have a problem with it, don't be a mod.

I'm particularly shocked that there is so much hostility over "thank you" posts. Remind me never to thank you. I wouldn't want to be a "spammer." I think that is incredibly unfair to the original author of the guide. Since you haven't felt the need to add a "Thanks" button to your forum, the least you can do is allow people to express appreciation.

Lastly, it's a very bad practice for when new members sign up. The threads may be old to you, but they aren't old to new members. I wanted to post a question in a thread.... but.... it was closed. Because you think it's old. But I've never seen it before. Do I have no rights?

You know why you don't see that at other forums? Because it's a bad idea.

15. El Llama

El Llama Active Member

youtube.com/llamavlog :D
    Home Page:
    @danation: i agree with you, mostly.. i just want to know that we aren't a hostile forum. and that this locking hasn't really been a recent issue.

16. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    Yes this post itself was a while ago :D

Anyways yeah we don't really have a problem I guess ;)

17. Danation

Danation New Member

Ok, sounds good. Sorry if my post was a little hot-headed. I get that way when I post in the middle of the night, lol.

I was just bummed that I can't have my animated sig, and the thread asking about it was shut down...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.