1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only one window opens on Gimp startup

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by TalkToMary, Apr 3, 2008.

1. TalkToMary

TalkToMary New Member

Home Page:
    I downloaded Gimp for the first time today.  When I started it the first few times two windows opened up.  Now only the one that says Applications opens up and it opens up to a full size window.

Did I inadvertantly change some settings?  How do I get it back to the was it was after the install.

Mary

2. Mortimer

Mortimer New Member

Home Page:
    I am not sure what window you are expecting...

when you start Gimp without any images, it should only open the tool palette. Then, when you open an image, the image window will show up.

After that, if you don't have other dialogues enabled by default (layers, etc.), just go to the >dialogue menu and choose the ones you would like to see.

3. TalkToMary

TalkToMary New Member

Home Page:
    Thank you for your reply.

When I start Gimp now it is the Tools window that opens up but it opens up to the full screen with Tools going all across the page.

When I first downloaded Gimp it the Tools window opened up but it was a small compact window.

I want to restore the opening window to what it was preset originally.  There were actually two small windows that opened up originally.

Mary

4. Mortimer

Mortimer New Member

Home Page:
    I am not sure if this will be a solution, but, you can:
    1- use the little triangle with 3 strikes on the bottom right of the window to resize it. Try moving the window to the left if you don't see it.
    2- use the X11, window>zoom menu item (in the apple menubar) to try to unzoom the window

5. TalkToMary

TalkToMary New Member

Home Page:
    Yes! Thank you!

I grabbed the little ridges or lines in the right hand corner of the Tools window to resize it.  I am not sure how I enlarged it in the first place.

For the other window that was there when I first downloaded Gimp I went to File/Dialogs/Create New Dock and created a new dock.

Now when I open it looks like it did when I first downloaded it.

It is so easy to get confused with the simplest of things!  Thank you for your help.

Mary