1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with Text tool

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by osage, Sep 5, 2014.

1. osage

osage New Member

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I've been using Gimp for quite awhile, mostly for formating and editing pictures, but never had a need to create an image until now. My problem is understanding how the Text tool works. I've already read everything at the Gimp Help site, but the Text information leaves a lot to be desired.
    Here is my problem.

I have an image opened, and am trying to place some text on the image. Being this is the first time to use Text, I don't understand how it works. First, I selected the Text tool, and the editing box appeared, along with a "box" on the image, I assumed the text would appear as I typed in the text in the editor. No such luck. That is my problem. I can't seem to find any information that tells what you need to do in order for the text to appear in the "box". I understand this is a different layer, but can't get the text to appear. I read the Tutorial for Text, but it was pretty confusing. I looked at the "preferences" page, and the Folders page, but frankly, I just don't see anything that helps me understand. From what I've read so far, Gimp comes with a default set of Fonts, but I can't even find the list. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even a link to a better set of tutorials than what comes up when I select the Help button. Thanks

2. rich2005

rich2005 New Member

There are plenty of how-to's for the Gimp 2.8.x text tool around, this is mine and has the advantage of being concise.

but

From your description it sounds like there might something wrong with your Gimp set-up / interface.
    Usual questions, What is your OS and version of Gimp?

3. osage

osage New Member

4. osage

osage New Member

Hello again. I see Gimp version 2.8 has been released. Do you know if I have to un-install my current version to upgrade? I can't find any info on upgrading at the Gimp site. Looks like there are many improvements though, so I would like to upgrade. Thanx

5. osage

osage New Member

Hmmm, looks like I have to learn how to use the "quote" thing better too.

6. rich2005

rich2005 New Member

Nothing wrong with Gimp 2.6 but you will benefit from enhanced tools in Gimp 2.8 and single window mode (bottom of the 2.8 windows menu)

When you install Gimp 2.8.14 it will remove the existing Gimp 2.6
    Your Gimp 2.6 profile C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.6 remains and the settings are migrated (generally) to a new profile C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8

If you want Gimp 2.6 to run in parallel with 2.8 you can reinstall it again.

Make sure you get the latest bug-fixed gimp 2.8.14 (the first release is broken) from a reputable source. I am not sure that GIMPER.NET is updated yet, so use
    http://download.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/gimp-2.8.14-setup-1.exe
    note the 'setup-1.exe'

back to Gimp 2.6
    Select the text tool
    click on the canvas
    the text editor dialog opens, type the text in.
    If you can not see anything, as original post, check the FG color and the text color (ie not white on white)

[​IMG]

7. gimpeRaven

gimpeRaven Member

a college student, a Gimper and a gamer
    Home Page:
    :wilber: The rectangle need to be clicked/active with the text input cursor using the text tool :text: in the text area so that a text will appear in the box. The size of the text might be small. Add a text dock to modify it. The text box can be made inactive when using other tools like airbrush :airbrush: or paintbrush :paintbrush:. Click the text tool icon :text: in the tools to switch the cursor. :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014