1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning How to Build GIMP/GAP for Mac

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by leonardo, Mar 18, 2008.

1. leonardo

leonardo New Member

I am looking for introductory books, tutorials, etc. on how to understand and learn to build GIMP/GAP for Mac.

At the GNOME Documentation Library the Introduction to GTK [Gimp Tool Kit] +2.0 Tutorial says, "This tutorial assumes a good understanding of C, and how to create C programs."

I'm looking for very basic and newbie readable books/tutorials on C and C programs. Is there anything I need to know to understand C? Any recommendations?

When I downloaded GTK + 2.0 from GNOME it downloaded into QuickTime MPEG icon which QuickTime said "...is not a movie." I just registered with GNOME forum and will ask about this there when registration goes through.
    But if anybody here knows what went wrong I'd appreciate that info.   

Starting points are hard to find or put together. I am teaching myself how to use GIMP and would also like to learn how to build it in the process. Any suggestions for a good start would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Auria

Auria Member

Hi,

to build programs you do not need to know how to code (even though this is something that you can learn too, and if you are interested in learning to program the best palce to start is google  :) there's lots of good resources online. after that, go to your local library/book store... i don't have anything to recommend, sorry, I learned it all online)

On mac you can use macports to get GIMP (and possibly GAP if you're lucky) working. The first step is probably to install maports, and get familiar with its basic commands. Then, you can build gimp using macports (or, if you wish to create packages, follow our slightly different method that is detailed in a sticky forum thread in the "development" forum section on these wilber-loves-apple forums)

I am not sure what file you downloaded from gnome. can you at least tell the extension of the file? Usually you should download source archives that can be expanded like .zip .bz2 .tar .gz etc.

3. leonardo

leonardo New Member

Thank you Auria for you reply,

I went to MacPorts and immediately saw my mistake. I didn't really know what a MacPort was and I was confusing building a GIMP application/package for X11 with working on the GIMP program with the GIMP Toolkit (GTK) using C. 

I found the Mac OS X Xcode Tools Version 1.1 CD and will install, upgrade the Xcode tools (if possible), and start learning about MacPorts.

The tutorial file I tried to download was "gtk-tutorial.20000721.tar.gz which is a: Gnu Zip Archive from: ftp://ftp.gtk.org;" another mistake. I will post any future questions regarding the GIMP Toolkit (GTK) in the main Gimper.Net forum. I will also look for a book on C language and C programs.

Thanks again Auria. I really appreciate this forum and I'm glad theonehorst found a place for it at Gimper.Net. I only hope that the updating of the GIMP Help Files for Mac didn't get lost in the shuffle.

4. Auria

Auria Member

I'm not sure if he'll have time/interest to upload new help files, but anyway when I have time I should look into it. After all I'm going the be the new admin so it's my job to know everything :p no promise though, I have lots of stuff to do ATM

5. Mortimer

Mortimer New Member

Home Page:
    It's not really clear what you are looking for:
    1- get the Gimp to run on your mac and use it to edit picture? If this is the case, I would recommend first just using the Gimp.app already packaged by wilber-loves-apple.org, this is the best way to do it unless you really have specific needs. If you really need to build it manually, go the macports way, just install macports as explained on their site and then do on the command line: sudo port install gimp-app
    2- use GTK and C to program your own user interface for new application/Gimp plugin? If it's that, start by learning C or C++ and then look into GTK. Note that, if you are programming just for OS X, perhaps you are better learning Objective-C and use Cocoa for the GUI, it's a lot easier on the mac.

6. leonardo

leonardo New Member

The reason I'm not clear in what I'm looking for is because I'm still too inexperienced to know how to look. The people who do know speak in jargon and use acronyms and take short cuts that I don't understand yet. Once I decipher the computer language I'm surprised at how easy it is to use a computer.

It's easy to fall into jargon so when I post I try to use meaningful terms in case another newbie might read what I post. Someone who doesn't know that GTK stands for GIMP Toolkit has to stop and look it up and that's about where I am; looking up expressions to understand what computer people are talking about.

In your post you say "...packaged by wilbur-loves-apple.org,..." which makes more sense to me than "...built by...." Better to say "packaged/built for X11 window manager and Mac OS X using MacPorts." I kept confusing "build" with "program" as you use it later in your post and now I know better.

My understanding deepened as I translated the second part of your posting:

"2- use GTK [GIMP Toolkit] and C to program [create?] your own [graphical] user interface for new application/Gimp plugin? If it's that, start by learning C or C++ and then look into GTK. Note that, if you are programming just for OS X, perhaps you are better learning Objective-C and use Cocoa for the GUI [Graphical User Interface], it's a lot easier on the mac.

FROM NET LINGO
    Graphical User Interface (pronounced: goo-ey)
    A well-known acronym for a software front end. A GUI should provide an attractive and easy-to-use interface between a computer user and an application (generally featuring graphical elements such as icons). Basically, a GUI is what you see on your computer screen.

bang the GUI
    To consistently interface with a program in order to get to know its features and limitations; to type incessantly in order to teach oneself a new program.

Thank you Mortimer for your reply, I learned something. Apparently this is just what I'm doing, banging the GUI and enjoying it!  :D