1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's not working..

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by horselover12798, Jun 4, 2008.

1. catniphall

catniphall New Member

Hi!
    um, I have a Mac OSX-10.4.11 and I can't find a version of the Gimp that will wor on 10.4.11.
    I also can't find a version of X11 to download for 10.4.11
    Does anyone know where I can download both of these?
    thanks!
    Sophie

2. Auria

Auria Member

Hi,
    please see the installation manual : http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/guides/install_tiger/
    On mac OS X 10.4, X11 cannot be downloaded, you need to install it from your OS X install disk

3. catniphall

catniphall New Member

i didnt buy it!
    and its okay because SEASHORE WORKS GREAT AND IS MUCH EASIER TO INSTALL!!!!

4. catniphall

catniphall New Member

okay i take it back seashore sx
    you can't save .bmp's!!!

5. Maidoc

Maidoc Member

Home Page:
    Well your opinion was quite quick to change. I believe Seashore is still in Alpha testing, and is no where near done.

6. ekkay

ekkay New Member

I have Mac OS X 10.5 (Intel). I already have X11 installed.
    I have the same problem as the others.
    The GIMP icon just bounces on the dock and then disappears.
    Below are the problem details. thanks!

Version: ??? (???)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: sh [1621]

Date/Time: 2008-07-05 05:57:08.263 +0800
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5 (9A3115a)
    Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
    Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libXrandr.2.dylib
    Referenced from: /tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib
    Reason: Incompatible library version: libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib requires version 4.0.0 or later, but libXrandr.2.dylib provides version 3.0.0

I can read the Reason there but I have no idea how to fix it. I just recently replaced a PC with a Mac so I have no idea yet how to do
    things using this OS.

Thanks!

7. Auria

Auria Member

ekkay: your X11 is probably too old, try installing the latest packages from XQuartz

8. macgimper

macgimper New Member

Here's the error message I'm getting when I launch Gimp from a Terminal session:

Last login: Wed Jul 16 11:53:07 on tty??
    /Applications/Utilities/Gimp.app/Contents/MacOS/Gimp ; exit;
    dyn9189218:~ Joey$ /Applications/Utilities/Gimp.app/Contents/MacOS/Gimp ; exit;
    /Users/Joey
    Could not get password database information for UID of current process: Failed to get groups for username "Joey" primary GID 1551083765: Unknown error: 0

Failed to start message bus: Memory allocation failure in message bus
    EOF in dbus-launch reading address from bus daemon
    No matching processes belonging to you were found
    logout

[Process completed]

"Joey" is my user name. I wonder why Gimp is trying to access my password database information?

9. Auria

Auria Member

I answered in your other thread. Please don't cross-post.

10. Andrek

Andrek New Member

Hey Guys,

I have been reading over all the posts, & I cannot find the install guide (I did google for it).

As well I cannot seem to access the command line so many sites say I need to access to install GIMP correctly.

Any help would be apprecitaed.

OS X 4.11 & PPC

Thanks

Andrek

11. lisanet

lisanet Member

12. Lironah

Lironah New Member

VICTORY! Oh, and fancy meeting you here, Andrek; I didn't think you owned a Mac.

For all you PPC + OS X 4.11 people who can't seem to get GIMP to do more than bounce once and do nothing else, I've finally found the solution. I came here looking for the answer, but nobody seems to know it, so I figured I'd better share now that I got it working.

Ok. The problem is with your X11. If you're having this problem, it's because the version you're running has a glitch and doesn't like anything relating to graphics. Now, since I'm using a borrowed computer to run GIMP, I'm not certain whether the version on the disk is the one at fault, or whether it's been updated - reinstalling it from the disk might do it. Also, nobody has a list of various versions which work with OS 4.11, since they're useless to anyone running the newest and latest, so you can't just go out and try every version until one works. But finally, after slogging through page after page researching this, I found a guy who bothered to post a download of X11 for OS 4.11. Here is the page in his blog:

http://cjmart.in/2006/12/01/install-x11 ... stall-dvd/

I tried to add the file to this post, but it's just too big. :(

Again, I'm not entirely certain which version comes on the install disk. The one he has linked here is version 1.1.3, which I'm pretty sure is an upgrade for the computer I'm working on - if I'm remembering correctly, it used to be 1.1.2. Either way, when I tried opening GIMP after installing this, it worked! Now I can finally prove to my husband that GIMP actually does something!

- Lironah

13. johnford

johnford New Member

Hi all,

Sorry to return to this problem.

Have mac running OS X 10.4.11 and installed GIMP and X11 - twice now - latest through the downloads advised by Lironah in above post but the thing still bounces.

Any ideas. I'm new to all this as you might gather.

john

14. lisanet

lisanet Member

15. johnford

johnford New Member

Thank you - tried all that - still nothing. Obviously I'm missing something. BUt thank you for your response.

John

16. azm

azm New Member

I am also not able to launch gimp (2.6.6) in leopard (10.5.7). I already installed the new version of X11 from a link I found. I also read that it was not necessary for my version of leopard, but I anyway did it. The program just bounces in the dock onces the first time I launch it after the installation. Then it stops and I cannot launch it again.

I have ran /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/MacOS/Gimp following some posts that I read somewhere and the result is:
    rm: /tmp/skl/Gimp.app: is a directory
    ln: /tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Gimp.app: File exists
    /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 24: /tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/bin/update-fc-cache: No such file or directory
    /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 26: /tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/bin/setup-gimpdirs: No such file or directory
    /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 28: /tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/bin/help-locale: No such file or directory
    /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 31: /tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gimp: No such file or directory
    /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 31: exec: /tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gimp: cannot execute: No such file or directory

I checked that the folder /tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/bin does not exist. I cannot figure out what's happening and why.

Does anybody have any idea? I haven't found anything that can help in the previous post.

Thanks

17. ~suv

~suv Member

'/tmp/skl/Gimp.app' is supposed to be a symbolic link not a directory. I don't know how you managed to changed that?
    This is also wrong. There should not be a file (or link) called 'Gimp.app' inside '/tmp/skl/Gimp.app'.
    Did you edit any script file inside the GIMP.app package or manually create the directories in '/tmp/skl'?

To fix it, try this
    Code:
    /bin/rm -rf /tmp/skl/Gimp.app
    and restart GIMP.

hth, ~suv

18. lisanet

lisanet Member

hhmm, first, this is _not_ the same problem as johnford described, since you are using Leopard and johnford uses Tiger. but nevertheless...

It's not very wise to install some software you don't know what status it has. There may be some links out there to versions of X11 which are beta software. One recent version of X11 I know of (some release canditae of 2.4 or 2.3.3 or so) had a bug, which caused GIMP to crash shortly after you've launched it.

So if you still want to use X11 from somewhere on the net, you'll have to make sure, that it works on your system. Go and have a look at the mailing list of the XQuartz project to see, if there are any know bugs or problems with their latest release of X11.

Or, and that's the way I recommend, use the version Apple ships with the latest Leopard releases. This version of X11 will work. Yes it does.

But let's go back to your error messages.

To me it seems, that you've launched GIMP from inside the dmg file or from inside Terminal.app. Both may cause some errors. Just drop GIMP from the dmg to the Application folder and lauch it from the Application folder by double clicking on it.

These two things, use Leopard's X11 and double-clicking a installed GIMP, should do the trick.

BTW, as ~suv mentioned, try to remove the link (or the directory) in /tmp/skl and restart GIMP (after you've installed it in /Application)

-skl