1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

it starts... oh no it doesn't

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by macfolk, Aug 28, 2008.

1. macfolk

macfolk New Member

I have recently installed gimp 2.4.5 from wilber loves apple, and and installed X11 from XQuartz 2.3.0. When I click on Gimp to open, it appears in the dock and the app name appears in the menus. X11 then opens and appears in the dock, but Gimp immediately closes and does not finish loading. I end up with X11 running but not Gimp. If I open X11 first, and then open Gimp everything runs smoothly. I have had previous versions of Gimp and I remember just starting Gimp and X11 loading along with it. Has something changed? or am I experiencing a bug of some kind? This is not an urgent problem. I can get the app to run. I was just hoping someone could help me get the app to run without the extra step. Any help that is offered is greatly appreciated.

2. Auria

Auria Member

Hi,

*sigh* we thought all X11 problems had been finally solved!

Here are a few steps you could try to help us diagnose the problem :
    * Download our latest 2.4.6 or 2.4.7 build (depending on which is available on your platform)
    * Run GIMP from the terminal like explained here : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1941
    * Post back any error message you get

Hopefully we should get more info this way

3. macfolk

macfolk New Member

I follow the instructions from the link provided. Here is the text from the terminal window:
    Last login: Thu Aug 28 23:51:52 on tty??
    michael-folkertss-macbook-pro-17:~ Michael$ /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/MacOS/Gimp ; exit;
    /Users/Michael
    cannot open display:
    logout

[Process completed]

Something else I noticed is that the Get Info window for the app still says that it is 2.4.5, but the About selection from the pull down menu says that it is 2.4.6.

4. Auria

Auria Member

Okay, i'm afraid this will need to be reported to the XQuartz team. Would you be willing to do so? If you would rather not register to their mailing list, just tell me and i'll post the issue there myself.

About the version number: yes it's a know issue, the About dialog is the one that is right. That should be fixed in GIMP 2.4.7