1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Pluging in Gimp 2.8 on OS x

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by davehoskins, Jan 23, 2013.

1. davehoskins

davehoskins New Member

Hello Everyone,

I just registered here because I'm hoping to find help with Gimp 2.8.3 on a Mac OS X 10.6.8 and installing plugins. I don't have a lot of tech or coding experience and this is quite challenging for me. One plugin that is of particular interest is Wavelet Decompose.http://registry.gimp.org/node/11742.

I'm also interested in just understanding how to install plugins and scripts in gereral. Any help in laymen's terms is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dave Hoskins

2. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

Student
    First download the script (which will then appear in your downloads folder)

Now right click on the Finder icon in the dock and type "~/Library" without the quotes, of course. Hit enter, and a finder window will pop up. Find Application Support/Gimp/Scripts, and drop the script in there. Simply restart Gimp, and you should be golden!

3. davehoskins

davehoskins New Member

So scripts folder if it's a script and plugin folder if it's a plugin? The other thing is which file to put there. Wavelet Decompose, for instance, has many files with different extensions. I'm assuming I should drop the correct file in the Gimp scripts or plugin folder.

4. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

Not a Mac user but:

- technically, "scripts" are exclusively files with .SCM extensions.
    - Python "scripts" are seen as plugins by Gimp and so should go to the plug-ins folders and be made executable.
    - Binary plugins (.app?) and their side files go in plug-ins (and the .app should be made executable)

5. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

Student
    Here's the contents of the plugin in question Rod, it's a bit beyond my knowledge. The install instructions say something about writing 'make' and 'make userinstall'.

[​IMG]

6. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

This is the source code... easy to install on Linux (or other Linux systems). On a Mac you have better find someone who compiled/packaged it for you.

7. davehoskins

davehoskins New Member

Thanks for the help Cyril and Rod. I was afraid of that. It's a frustrating thing about Gimp to a non-coder user like me. It seems like the folks who work on the Gimp and many of the add-ons think it's cool that the hoi polloi don't know how to make it sail. 8O

8. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

Student
    Wish I could help. I've tried many times to learn about all this compiling stuff, with no luck. I can find no super basic beginner friendly Mac guides. :(

9. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

It's not a matter of hoi-polloi... it's a matter of your random graphics expert becoming knowledgeable enough in your specific platform, and having the required hardware and software setup to generate a version for your platform. The Gimp developers are mostly Linux users (Gimp is one of the very few (or even the only) Linux-born applications that achieved very significant traction in the general public outside of Linux), so their native output is for Linux.

There are several people on a mission to port Gimp and all the good plugins to Windows, I assume there are other people doing the same for OSX.

Btw, I have heard that in future OSX version, apps will be obtained via the AppStore and sooner or later only via the AppStore. And the AppStore cannot distribute software with a GPL licence (it's incompatible with its terms of use). So is there a long-term future of Gimp on OSX?

10. davehoskins

davehoskins New Member

Interesting points.