1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting XCF Files

Discussion in 'Other' started by The Gimp Pimp, Dec 1, 2008.

1. The Gimp Pimp

The Gimp Pimp Member

Home Page:
    Hey everyone,

Just want to say that if you're going to be submitting tutorials here and want to link to an xcf elsewhere that is less than 2MB (I might increase this limit) then consider submitting at TheGimpPimp.com at http://www.thegimppimp.com. When you submit make sure all your layers are the full image size, it will create a thumbnail so users may browse through the XCF files, it will create a preview so they can view it before downloading, and it will display information about the XCF including the layers, names and the image dimensions. People will also be able to comment on them and you will be able to link back to your tutorial.

Should make your lives easier!! Plus I won't be removing them so it's more dependable than another file hosting website.

Thanks,
    Adam

2. MattSomethin

MattSomethin Active Member

school
    Home Page:
    i prolly wont be doing this because i use mediafire...

3. The Gimp Pimp

The Gimp Pimp Member

Home Page:
    use whatever serves your needs best, I'm just saying at TheGimpPimp.com it makes a thumbnail version and preview which is good for everyone who wants to browse available xcf files..

4. Steve

Steve Member

Home Page:
    why do people want xcf tutorials?? Do they use reverse engineering or something? ???

5. ETorano

ETorano Member

Student
    Home Page:
    Wow! Great idea, and well executed too. Thanks a lot. I quite often provide xcf files with my tutorials and I may just upload some for the point of it xD

6. The Gimp Pimp

The Gimp Pimp Member

Home Page:
    When you make a tutorial you often attach XCF files right? I thougth it would be nice if people could see them before they download them and even browse through others, if they see one they like they can look at it and then click the link to the tutorial that made it.. It's just another way of finding a new tutorial? I believe it's much better than using mediafire or any of those other file hosting sites because how can you possibley find the file from that website? There is no other way other than being linked directly to it whereas with TheGimpPimp.com XCF files can be browsed all at once and you're supplied with previews.. There's no backwards tutorials lol.. :)

ETorano gets the idea ;)

7. B☠N3S

B☠N3S Active Member

Home Page:
    Congratulations you just converted your site into a file hosting site :p

8. Icyblue

Icyblue Member

I rarely have xcf's that are even less than 10mb ???
    But I love the idea.

9. The Gimp Pimp

The Gimp Pimp Member

Home Page:

Nooope, that's why there is a limit of 2MB, and even if it was higher, it wouldn't be just a file hosting site.. it woould turn the file into an image which is far more than any other site can do really..

Because of the reasons mentioned above I don't take files larger than 2MB but I do understand that most XCF's for larger images can be huge. It's meant for small avatars and such, maybe small renders etc... I don't want to become a file hoster lol

10. rebaler

rebaler Member

High school
    lol I wonder if you could do the same with psd files? - Runs off to create a file hosting site for PSD and XCF files! adds lots of ad space...- Ta da!

edit: I thought you could view all the layers in the xcf file? I only see one image per file...

11. The Gimp Pimp

The Gimp Pimp Member

Home Page:
    Nope, can't view them all separately.. Didn't see a real purpose for it, though I suppose it would help to skip the whole process of downloading to see how it was made

12. precisedix

precisedix New Member

Yeah,Congratulations you have just converted your website into a file hosting website man...