1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Installing Separate Plugin OSX

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by cbuk84, Mar 31, 2008.

1. cbuk84

cbuk84 New Member

First time post as i'm new to gimp.  I've downloaded the cmyk separate plugin but, having no experience using terminal and code i am completely lost by the readme file.  I did try pasting the instructions into terminal but to no avail as the first line displays an error of 'directory doesn't exist', when i'm sure the particular line of code is for creating a new folder.  Is there an easy way to do this without using terminal (ie creating folders in certain places?).  I would really appreciate any help on this, and with a bit of help i'm sure i could sort it.

To install the Adobe ICC profiles, unzip the AdobeICCProfiles.zip file, and
    do the following as root:
      mkdir /opt/local/iccprofiles
      cp Adobe\ ICC\ Profiles/RGB\ Profiles/* /opt/local/share/color/icc/
      cp Adobe\ ICC\ Profiles/CMYK\ Profiles/* /opt/local/share/color/icc/

This is the bit i'm having trouble getting my head around. where is the opt folder? i assume it doesnt exist and i have to enter mkdir /opt/local/iccprofiles in terminal, however this tells me the directory doesn't exist?

I appologise for my ignorance, but code really isnt my thing (especially when i cant get my head around it)

I am running osx 10.5.2 (this could again be an issue), with gimp 2.4.5

2. Auria

Auria Member

Hi,

what plugin are you trying to install? Can you give a link?

GIMP on OS X is usually installed rather differently from on Linux therefore the readme will probably not be of much help. I have not actively looked into building plugins, but I think you might need to build GIMP from source using macports to get that ability unfortunately (instructions can be found in the Development section of this board... but it doesn't cover plugin building - anyway it's hard for me to tell without knowing what plugin precisely)

3. cbuk84

cbuk84 New Member

4. Auria

Auria Member

Okay, but doesn't GIMP 2.4 support print simulation? (sorry I don't know much about these matters... but I think you can now do that without plugin : just set-up an appropriate color profile in the preferences, then go in View > Display Filters, switch "color management" on) if that's no what you want i can look at the plug-in but i'm not sure how well it integrates with our build, it would probably be much easier to just try the display filter built-in gimp first

5. cbuk84

cbuk84 New Member

I've just had a quick look and have found the menu's you've mentioned, which will seemingly allow me to bring in the adobe cmyk icc profiles.  I've unfortunately not got the time to play with it too much tonight (blame the football!) but i will give it a go tommorrow.  Thanks very much for you time in replying and i will try and let you know how i get on

6. cbuk84

cbuk84 New Member

Just had a quick look and i've selected the profile in the cmyk bit of the menu in preferences.  but when i convert to colour profile, i cannot selected the cmyk profiles as it prompts that 'it is not an rgb profile'.  I've only just started using gimp, and kind of hoped it would let me create images for print in cmyk (that could go to printers if need be), similarly to i use at work (naturally we use photoshop at work but there's no way i can afford that, and dont see why for home use anyone should have to pay that amount of money).  I use the curves to colour correct lots of images for print, and i'm so used to the colour breakdown rgb is completely alien to me, and naturally for print work isnt helpful.  I had hoped the plugin would let me save down as cmyk in layers.  Any idea if there is any chance cmyk will be included in a future release (i've been reading michael j. hammel's book and he mentions in there that it may happen for 2.4)

7. Auria

Auria Member

Well yeah, CYMK support in GIMP is still behind that of Photoshop, that's one of its weak areas I think ( well i don't know much how it works so maybe it's better than i think ;) )

Well I just played with it a little, and think I got how to use it.

I downlaoded the adobe profiles from there :
    http://desktoppub.about.com/gi/dynamic/ ... DMacintosh

Then I set-up GIMP like on the 2 attached screenshots. and it seemed to work about like in photoshop

Disclaimer : I've just been playing with it, I can't swear i've done everything right :) but hopefully i put you on the right track

Attached Files:

8. bjornio

bjornio New Member

I know the last post was 2 years old but I have been trying to get this to work over the past few days. Have searched online for a very long time and is frustrating. I heard that CMYK was supposed to be implemented in Gimp by now but to no avail. Was wondering if you guys ever got it working?
    I wanted to see your png's that you posted up but not surprised they aren't there anymore after 2 years.
    I have Mac os x 10.6 and Gimp 2.6.
    Thanks if anyone reads this! I need this for a printing job i have this week!

9. lisanet

lisanet Member

the last time I tried to compile the Separate+ plugin, it did _not_ work on SnowLeopard. AFAICS, the plugin is not compatible with SnowLeopard and uses some Carbon related stuff (Carbon related software won't run on SnowLeopard) and uses some buggy colormanagement routines which are not UTF-8 compatible.

Although it runs on Leopard, I decided not to include the plugin until it will run on SnowLeopard too.

-skl

BTW, is there anybody out there who's willing to help in finding and fixing the bugs in Separate+ ?