1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gimp won't open

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by JeanPierre, Sep 8, 2013.

1. JeanPierre

JeanPierre New Member

I've been using Gimp 2.8 for about 2 years with no problem, and suddenly it refuses to open. I see the opening image and searching for fonts, plug-ins etc.., but when it looks for Script-fu, that's it. It stops responding, and I have to force quit it.
    My Mac is a MacBook OS X version 10.6.8.
    I of course tried to reboot, then deleted everything related to Gimp and re-downloaded successively version 2.8.6 , 2.8.4 , and 2.8.2.
    Successively but not successfully: same thing happened each time.
    Since last time I opened it, I didn't update or change anything in my system except for Microsoft Office automatic update. Could it be that?
    Please help,
    JeanPierre

2. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

Hi JeanPierre and welcome to Gimper.

It's probably either Windows malicious software tool seeing GIMP as a virus or your antivirus software. Both can throw false positives and cause GIMP to stall.
    Try shutting both down one at a time and see if GIMP loads correctly.

IF that doesn't solve the problem try removing ALL the rc files in the USERPATH/.gimp-2.8 directory. This directory is in the user docs directory normally. Remove them and restart GIMP. GIMP will auto re-write these files for you.
    Do you run any 8BF files through GIMP? (Adobe Photoshop Plugins)