1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gimp 2.8.3 and .eps files

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by ffew, Mar 1, 2013.

1. ffew

ffew New Member

Hey,
    I am running Gimp 2.8.3 on my Mac running OS X 10.8.2. A friend of mine has done some designs and artwork using illustrator, which I would now like to edit and play with on Gimp. The files are .eps files. Whenever I try and open these on Gimp I get the error message "Opening '/Users/...../design.eps' failed: Unknown file type". Now I have read on various forums about Ghostscript and even tried to download it, but then couldn't work out what to do, yet on other forums I have read that versions beyond Gimp 2.6 shouldn't need Ghostscrpt. Can anyone shed any light on how I can get these files open in Gimp, because I'm really confused? If I do need to download and install plugins etc. could you please provide step by step instructions as I don't understand scripts and things.
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

Student
    It would seem the two easiest solutions would be ask your friend to export in another format Gimp can use and send them to you, or open them in Inkscape, a free vector program for both Windows and OSX. Otherwise, I'm not sure I can help you. :(