1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GIMP 2.4.5 with latest fixes

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by Auria, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Auria

Auria Member

(nothing quite new, i just thought that since this forum is tagged "annoucement of new builds" i had to put a small note here for people that won't digg into the "packagers wanted" thread)

Packages for GIMP 2.4.5 now exist on all supported 4 platforms with the following changes :

# Fixed crashes by switching to a different theme (the previously used theme engine was causing the crashes)
    # Fixed python scripts support
    # Fixed EPS/postscript support
    # Fixed xterm appearing on launch on Tiger 10.4 systems

Package authors :
    10.5 intel : theonehorst
    10.5 ppc : chachi
    10.4 intel : theBB
    10.4 PPC : Auria

http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/download.html

Great job everyone :)

2. Gimper

Gimper Member

Home Page:
    nice work you guys.

3. kl3ks

kl3ks New Member

Home Page:
    oh, good, there is somebody doing my job!
    it's good to see and I must apologize.
    It's a hard time right now for me and my priorities are at the photography right now. I say thanks to theBB and I wish you fun in the future.

thank you to let me being involved in this project! :)

4. Auria

Auria Member

Hey no problem :) If you have time you're always welcome here, we never have too many people in the community

5. mulle

mulle New Member

hi,
    i just downloaded the 10.4 ppc release, thanks for the good work.
    is there a possibilty to get back the old dock icon? i prefer the old one, but haven't backuped it.

thanks,
    mulle

6. Auria

Auria Member

Hi,

you could download an old gimp icon from our SVN : http://darwingimp.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... iew=markup (just click the "download" link)then copy the icon file inside (right-click on Gimp.app, the icon file is in /Contents/Resources/Gimp.icns)

the finder, however, tends to cache icons, so the new icon file may not appear right away, i'm not too sure how to tell the finder to rebuild its icons database

7. Ilgaz

Ilgaz New Member

Believe or not, I had no clue about such a stable, problem free and new release for Leopard/PPC or Tiger. I have even decided (myself) that somehow Apple or Gimp guys made it impossible to ship a PPC binary.

First of all, thanks for it and here is my suggestion. OS X Mac releases are generally posted to these (as basis)
    1) Apple Downloads site ( http://www.apple.com/downloads/ ) , to submit the gimp versions (or better make a single entry pointing to download page instead of direct download, e.g. "list") https://adcweb.apple.com/downloads/ to submit
    2) Versiontracker.com , it is free and it also provides a feedback area for users, http://www.versiontracker.com/developer/ , it is especially important for regular end user reach. Of course I recommend a "List", e.g. download page URL
    3) macupdate.com http://www.macupdate.com/submission/type.php , the other half users of 3rd party download site users checks it. The point is, a versiontracker user won't check macupdate and vice versa.
    4) CNET Download.com , the reason for this suggestion is: Mac "switcher" people who are used to download.com automatically keeps using its mac edition although it is not that popular compared to VT or Macupdate.

Once you post the releases as developer (with developer account), we (users) can keep them updated using "Broken Link/Newer version" or you can update as developer. The issue is, a user cannot post a new software release to the sites. It must be done by developer/packager.

It is really important for general OS X user made aware of these releases. Gimp, even the archaic versions are a hit on Mac sites. Problem is to make them aware.

I use the latest Leopard/PPC version on G5 Quad with 4,5 GB of RAM. This is the most responsive and problem free GIMP I have used, thanks for all.

8. Auria

Auria Member

Hi,

well since we are listed in the downlaods section of gimp.org we didn't think of advertising ;) I'll look into it if I have time, though I would appreciate if someone could do it, it seems like a task that would be easy to contribute by community members

9. Ilgaz

Ilgaz New Member

It is almost impossible because of the high profile of application and how popular it is. I mean download sites, especially Apple and Versiontracker will need package maintainer/admin to post it.

Of course posting binary would require 4-5 different Gimp entries based on CPU/OS X so I say, just a single entry as Developer: Wilbur Loves Apple pointing to Downloads page (List in VT terms) would be enough.

Apple's reasons could be different but the 3rd party download sites does not accept end user submission based on historical reasons. Some developers don't want their application to be listed on a popular site for example or there is always a theoretical possibility that someone posts a malware abusing a very popular (for example: Gimp) software name. The "New entry" requires developer, "updates" can be made by end users.

Just make sure you check it at free time, at least Apple Downloads and Versiontracker.

10. Auria

Auria Member

Ok well I've tried... and gee they're not making it easy.

the Apple form is giving me headaches, they have weird requests
    "Mac OS X Download
    List the direct url to the Mac OS X
    downloadable file.
    (Must be in zip format and have
    a unique URL for each submission)"

so what the f..., now they don't accept dmgs anymore, they only want zips?? and they only want one URL? we have four!

11. Auria

Auria Member

*sigh* macupdate will only accept direct links to files too

EDIT: so I did my best and sent it to macupdate and Apple, even though i could not fully respect their conditions. We'll see if it makes it. I'm waiting for versiontracker to review and accept my dev profile.

12. Ilgaz

Ilgaz New Member

Hi,

I think Versiontracker will be enough to reach regular end users. I am sorry if I caused any headache, I had no clue that inventor of DMG format would demand ZIP file or Macupdate asks for direct file links.

I know VT guys, if they don't respond, I will be happy to help.

13. Auria

Auria Member

14. Auria

Auria Member

15. Auria

Auria Member

The versiontracker guys didn't give me developer status though

16. Ilgaz

Ilgaz New Member

Not just that, it is now a "GIMP 2.4.5 | Staff Pick" , it means Apple downloads guys (who are sometimes very picky) liked the builds. Big deal for a Unix program if you ask me. Congrats goes to packagers :)

I am sure VT issue can be sorted, when you search for Gimp, you see like 4-5 different builds, I think it has something to do with it. I will contact them. They also got acquired by CNET, I bet lots of things going on (except, staff didn't change).

Thanks for the hassle, at least 950 people downloaded from Macupdate in matter of day ;) Perhaps they will keep it and use it exclusively, donate, send feedback etc. That is the point in fact, to reach end user. Gimp is sometimes the only reason for people to have X11 on a Mach/BSD based system. I think X11/Quartz will make great use of feedback from regular end users.

17. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home Page:
    It's definitely the only reason why I use X11 on my system. As soon as native GTK and GIMP come out as packages to install I'm not using X11 anymore.