1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum signature help please...

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by Castor001, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Castor001

Castor001 New Member

Hi all.
    Basically I know how to cut and past one image from one layer onto a background layer, but what I need to know is how you properly crop an image in order to use it as a render.
    As an example, lets say I have a picture saved of a spacercraft I wish to put on a background of my own design.
    I cut then paste the image but the excess outer space graphic is still visible around the spacecraft. How can I get rid of the excess outer space graphic so that the spacecraft sits nicely on the background I have made??.

Sorry if this seems like a pretty noobish quetsion but although GIMP is an amazing program, im still trying to figure everything out.
    Any help would be great, thankyou. :)

2. tripwire45

tripwire45 Member

Technical Writer, Author, and Editor
    Home Page:
    Have a look at this thread and see if it provides the answer:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2053

BTW, welcome to Gimper.net, Castor001. :)

-Trip

3. Castor001

Castor001 New Member

Thankyou for the quick response tripwire.
    I think the path tool might be what im looking for however i think the image i have chosen to cut might be a bit complex. Its an image of the new cylon raider and if you are unaware, its basically all curves:-
    http://www.thethoughts.co.uk/images/raider.jpg.
    Just think that instead of downloading renders already created, its much more fun to try and make your own.
    Also, I was wondering if there is an easier way of making the image bigger without having to keep your finger down on the mouse button to increase the size manually, albiet via an "up" or "down" arrow :-(.

4. tripwire45

tripwire45 Member

Home Page:
    As far as increasing the size (and I assume you mean "zoom"), open the image in GIMP and click View -> Zoom and then select the size you want. From there, just use the path tool to trace around the object (yes, it can be tedious). Once you've created the path, click "Selection from Path" on the path tool's "tab" in the toolbox. Then on the drawing, you can click Select -> Feather to soften the edges around the selection. After that, copy or cut the object.

I prefer to paste such objects into a GIMP canvas with a transparent background, rather than directly into the background I desire. That way, if I mess up my creation, I've always got that object on tap, ready for another try.

5. Castor001

Castor001 New Member

Awesome !!
    Thanks once again trip, you have obviously been using Gimp for a very long time!. Why anyone would want to fork out hundreds of pounds to spend on Photoshop is beyond me, when this seems to work just as well for stuff like this.
    I am not really sure what you mean by pasting the object onto a transparent background, as when i grab the image of the spacraft i am doing it on a new layer with transpacreny selected anyways, not sure if this is the same thing, but any comments are most welcome.

6. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    also a much more convenient way of zooming is to press the + and - on your keyboard (the + and - on the right side)

7. tripwire45

tripwire45 Member

Home Page:
    LOL

Actually, I've only been using GIMP for a few months. I'm definitely a newbie as the more experienced members here will attest.

Usually, If I want to same an object (say, a spaceship) that I might want to paste into more than one background, I create a transparent canvas and paste it there first. To do so, follow these steps (they're really easy):

1. In the GIMP toolbox, click File -> New.
    2. In the Create a New Image dialog, under Image Size, choose the dimensions for the canvas you want.
    3. Click Advanced Options.
    4. Next to Fill with: click the menu arrow and select Transparency.
    5. Click OK.

A new image file with a transparent background layer is created. Paste the spaceship in their and save it without indicating a file extension (it will be automatically be saved as a .xcf file, which is GIMP's native file format). Now, you have your spaceship saved and, when you have a suitable background image or image available, just copy and paste. Couldn't be simpler.

EDIT: See? Ajit already has a more convenient short cut to offer. ;)

8. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    lol sorry off-topic

man Trip im glad you are so willing to help people recently :) i used to try to help a lot but then this is too much reading for me :p

9. tripwire45

tripwire45 Member

Home Page:
    With a Vulcan Mind Meld, we could have the best of both worlds. Or...
    Code:
    We are Borg
    :p

10. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    lol wow sorry i don't watch Startrek, but at least knew that was what you were talking about :p

which reminds me, the latest Stargate movie comes out today, i got to get that soon :D

11. L7hope

L7hope Member

You can also use Ctrl + Scroll-Wheel to zoom. :)

12. lamaz1928

lamaz1928 Active Member

School.....*sigh*
    Home Page:
    WHOAH i didnt know that *scrolls in and out* YAY!!!

13. Castor001

Castor001 New Member

Yay, scroll in and out, or even the plus and minus way is soooo much easier!!!.
    Thanks guys.
    Also, thanks Trip with help on creating a new canvas.
    I also notice that when I made a dig at a certain adobe product it seems to have been hyperlinked by the forum moderators.
    Did they not get that i was stabbing it in the back?? :p

14. tripwire45

tripwire45 Member

Home Page:
    The hyperlinks you are experiencing are part of an advertising program used to generate income for the forum. Whenever you mouse over one of the links, a pop up balloon will appear. I try to avoid them at all costs because I find them annoying, but then, I'm not King of the Universe, so I don't call the shots around here. ;)

15. Castor001

Castor001 New Member

LOL tripwire i understand what you mean by annoying, but hey if its helping to fund the forums i guess i have no case to argue> :p
    Just one final question. I'm getting to grips with the different functions i.e brushes, hue, saturation etc etc, however i have managed to download some beautiful brushes from other sites, but i was wondering that once i have extracted them, is there a path within the gimp software i need to extract them to, or are they stand alone programs so to speak??.

16. tripwire45

tripwire45 Member

Home Page:
    I can only answer that question (for sure) for a Linux system...specifically Ubuntu. My brushes are located at:
    Code:
    hostname:~/.gimp-2.4/brushes
    On a Windows system, probably something like Program Files/gimp-2.4/brushes, but that's just a guess.

I suppose you can extract the zip file anywhere, but put all of the .gbr files in the gimp brushes directory. After you do that, refresh the brushes list or just close and reopen GIMP, and they'll be there.

17. Castor001

Castor001 New Member

Cheers matey, how many years have you been using this for ?? :eek:

18. tripwire45

tripwire45 Member

Home Page:
    Months, not years...and not many months at that. I just needed to install some brushes a little while ago, researched the issue and figured it out. Glad to be of help.

19. Castor001

Castor001 New Member

One more question hehe
    how can you create a image but THEN add a new background to it after ???

20. tripwire45

tripwire45 Member

Home Page:
    Not sure I quite understand what you're asking this time.

Are you saying you have an image with a background and you want to change the background? :question: