1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't use Save As or Save A Copy more than once!

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by LoneWolf, Apr 23, 2008.

1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf New Member

Home Page:
    I've had this problem for a while, and even brought it up on the old Wilber Loves Apple forums. It's a real inconvenience so I thought I'd bring it up again. If I save a file once using Save As or Save A Copy and then try to do it again after making some changes I get an almost blank save dialog box. See the attached image for example. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so were you able to resolve it?

[​IMG]

2. Auria

Auria Member

I never got this :/ Can you run it from terminal and see if any message is printed?
    Also, what system and what X11 are you using?

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf New Member

Home Page:
    no messages are printed in terminal. I'm using a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.4 with X11 1.1.3 - XFree86 4.4.0.

4. Auria

Auria Member

What GIMP package are you using? If you do not have the latest one, you might have the old theme that was bogus

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf New Member

Home Page:
  6. kmkl

kmkl New Member

i had this problem a couple of times (3) and all it required was a restart of the program or mac

7. Auria

Auria Member

Maybe you could check if this happens in other GTK/X11 programs, like inkscape

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf New Member

Home Page:
    I've never had this issue in Inkscape. The only solution so far has been to close the file, re-open it, then I'm able to save it as something else.

9. Auria

Auria Member

When this happens, is the entire app frozen, is it a crash, or is it just a display issue?

(it's damn hard to debug problems that happen only to others)

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf New Member

Home Page:
    It's not a crash at all. It's simply a display issue. If I click where the filename should be and type something then hit enter it will actually save even though I can't see what I'm typing.

11. Auria

Auria Member

Ouch okay... well the only options I can think about (you'll probably not like them, I just have no better idea)

* build debug versions of everything, learn to program if necessary, and spend some time with a debugger  ;)
    * wait for the native (non-X11) version of GIMP
    * update to OS X 10.5 to get latest X11 (and hope it got fixed)
    * to rule out theme issues, dig inside the App bundle in /Resources/share/themes and try removing themes (you'll get the default ugly theme but that may be the most stable one i guess)

12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf New Member

Home Page:
    Ok. On a hunch I looked around in the preferences at the folders and saw that it was pulling the themes from a folder left over in tmp from an older build of gimp. When I switched it to the folder in the app package I got a different selection of themes and it APPEARS to be working now. I'll post if the issue shows up again. Thanks for the help.

13. Auria

Auria Member

Glad to know something worked  ;D let's hope it's all fine now

14. LoneWolf

LoneWolf New Member

Home Page:
    unfortunately it's not. I've got it set to the default skin that came with this version I'm sure. The issue keeps popping up.

15. Auria

Auria Member

The only other easy test i can think about is to remove all themes and use the [ugly] default GTK theme. i don,t have much hope though. I have no clue why this happens, as far as I know you're the only one to whom it happens [so often]

16. tonyb

tonyb New Member

I am also getting this same problem. MacBook Pro, 15", 2 G RAM,  OSX 10.5.2, X11 2.0,  Gimp 2.4.5.
    Get a "Blank" display just as shown in the original post.
    Can enter a name for the "save as" or "save a copy" and press Return to save the file, but nothing is displayed!!!!

Regards
    Tonyb

17. Auria

Auria Member

First try updating to the latest X11 version (XQuartz 2.2 I think) If this still happens, you could try to get support from  the XQuartz folks, they will probably know better than I do (if you find anyhting I'd also appreciate if you could post it back here)

18. simplysilly

simplysilly New Member

Hi there,

New here and I came here for this exact issue. I am currently running os x 10.4.1. For a long time I was running gimp without issue. Then after my last update on mac, when I tried to "save as" in Gimp, the screen comes up blank. It's not a crash either, just display. So I uninstalled it yesterday and reinstalled the Mac version of gimp from "Wilber loves mac." I was able to save one file but got the blank screen after that. It's frustrating after manipulating a file then not being able to save it (I make custom dog tags so I have templates) then having to restart and do it all over again.

Any other thoughts on this? ???

19. Auria

Auria Member

On mac OS X 10.5, you could file a bug report to the XQuartz team. On 10.4, unfortunately, X11 support has been more or less dropped so i'm afraid i have little to no clue on what to do except ugrade to 10.5 or wait for the native gimp version

20. Acor

Acor New Member

Similar thing in Linux (Mandriva 2009.0) and Gimp 2.4.7. Except that I can use "save as" more than once. Sometimes three, sometimes five times. But eventually it ends in the same problem: empty dialog box. Only a restart of Gimp helps.