1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Open GIMP

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by MayChan, Sep 4, 2009.

1. MayChan

MayChan New Member

Every time I click to open Gimp, it will briefly load all the things like brushes, then once it finishes it just closes out and disappear. I tried to reinstall it again, but it has the same result. I really don't know how to make it work.

2. lisanet

lisanet Member

:question:

The app bundles from GIMP on OS X should run out of the box. To give you more support, I need a bit more information:

What Mac OS X version do you run?
    What's the version of X11?
    What version of GIMP do you try to launch? By double clicking on the GIMP icon? ( this is the correct way... no need to open Terminal.app or any other hits floating around)

-skl

3. Chou

Chou New Member

Hi, i am new here and an absolute lay person when it comes to FLOSS and working on the backend. i have tried to download and run GIMP several times. i once managed to get it on the computer (after several, including recent downloading errors). the icon appears but GIMP won't open.I have downloaded X11 from my MAc Tiger start up disk but still nothing. can you help?

4. Akky

Akky New Member

Hi, I am also new here. I have been using GIMP 2.6.7 and previous quite happily for a while using OS X 10.5. whatever and prior to that on OS X 10.4.11. However since I upgraded to SnowLeopard OS X 10.6 I have not been able to use it on my desktop. Not sure what the prob is. It runs fine on my late model MacBook using the same OS. But not the Desktop which was purchased at the same time as the MacBook and carrying all of the same software. Both using X11 2.3.4 and GIMP 2.6.7, but still no luck on the Desktop iMac..it bounces as if it is going to open, and then nothing, unless I then click on the X11 icon in my dock...then I get GIMP, but not working properly and not on the desktop background but a filled background that resembles a TV static screen. I just dont know what else to do...HELP!! please.

5. Chou

Chou New Member

i am using tiger and GIMP 2.6.5 and i also only get the X11 screen for a few seconds then both programmes (GIMP And X11) quit

is there any other software required (Java or other?) i downloaded all the X code tools on the mac starter pack...

nothing seems to get it working.

when i try opening Gimp in terminal i get a

lost its connection to the display :0.0;
    most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
    the application.
    logout

is there hope?

6. ~suv

~suv Member

Looks like you have X11 running in Full-Screen mode on the desktop. See this comment on the topic "X11 weirdness" how to restore the normal look&feel of X11...

hth, ~suv

7. ~suv

~suv Member

You have to install the X11 from the Optional Installs package on your OS X install disk, not the X11 Xcode tools for developers (this one only contains header files you need to compile your own programs, not X11 itself) - please read "How to install GIMP on mac OS X 10.4" for details:
    and after this don't forget to update X11 on Tiger as described:
    hth, ~suv

8. Akky

Akky New Member

Thanks for the help SUV ((HUGZ)) :-*

9. Chou

Chou New Member

hi ~suv.

i did reinstall X11 and then got the update for it as well. still the same problem. it says "X11 required" any other suggestions?

10. ~suv

~suv Member

Try to start X11 first by double-clicking its application icon in the finder (Applications > Utilities > X11):
    - does it start?
    - does it open it's own terminal (xterm) window?
    - what happens if you start GIMP now - with X11 already running?

To capture more information (i.e. error messages):
    1. open 'Console.app', click the 'Show log list' icon in the tool bar, then select 'All messages' on the top of list on the left.
    2. Clear the console window by using the broom icon in the tool bar.
    3. Now start X11, and then, when X11 is running, start GIMP.
    4. Copy the messages in the console window and paste or attach them here.
    5. Repeat steps 2-4 for starting GIMP directly (without an already running X11).

~suv

11. Chou

Chou New Member

HI ~suv

thanks for taking the time to respond.

1. X11 does not actually stay open. i sorted out the full screen problem with help from the forum. but the application still shuts down after a few seconds.

2. I am not familiar with the console application. there are various sub-menues in the left column (console, ~library logs, library logs and var logs etc). not sure which one you refer to - there is quite a lot of info and i am unsure what to clear and what not. here are the X11 logs under console.log (i left out the repetitions)

Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!

2009-09-16 14:20:02.200 X11[445] CFLog (0): CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1103 (0x44f), port = 0x3003, name = 'com.apple.x11.ServiceProvider'
    2009-09-16 14:20:02.201 X11[445] CFLog (99): CFMessagePortCreateLocal(): failed to name Mach port (com.apple.x11.ServiceProvider)

under system log i get

===== Display starts at offset 120361 within file of length 251433. ====
    ===== Use File->Reload (Cmd-R) to display more. ====

the X11 crash log reads (again several times with changing PID otherwise the same):

Host Name:
    Date/Time: 2009-03-19 13:37:35.106 +0200
    OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
    Report Version: 4

Command: X11
    Path: /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11
    Parent: WindowServer [61]

Version: 2.1.5 (2.1.5)

PID: 401
    Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libXau.6.dylib
    Referenced from: /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11
    Reason: image not found

does that help?

looking for the Gimp logs now

12. Chou

Chou New Member

all i could get under console for gimp is

The application 'gimp-2.6' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
    Sep 16 14:38:42 kadiatou-diallos-computer /Volumes/Gimp docs 2.4.1/Install Gimp Help.app/Contents/MacOS/gimp-help-installer-j: Java is generating its shared archive, version 1.5
    /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/share/gimp/2.0/help/

13. ~suv

~suv Member

1. regarding Console.app:
      select 'All messages' in the 'LOG DATABASE QUERIES' category at the top. This list will gather all necessary log messages from the other system logs below in the list without you needing to know what is kept where ;-)
    2. your problem is definitely not with GIMP but with X11 and your Tiger OS X installation. You might get better help in a Mac-specific forum with more people who have more Mac experience than me (I never used Tiger myself, sorry).
    3. you see me confused:
      If you did - how? My advice to Akky was specific to his/her description. You could only have followed it if your X11 was running, but...
    4. your X11 installation seems still broken:
      tells me that not all necessary libraries to run X11 are installed on your system. Did you use the installation disk that came with your computer? I have to admit I'm at my wits' end here - and I doubt that asking you to repeat step by step the installation instructions on the wilbur page will really help.

any Tiger expert willing to help out here?

~suv

14. ~suv

~suv Member

coming back to the crash report ;-)
    1. it's from March 2009? (2009-03-19) -> what says the most recent X11 crash report?
    2. Version: 2.1.5 (2.1.5): did you try to install a X11 version from a Leopard disc or downloaded from the net?

~suv (still puzzled what's wrong here)

15. lisanet

lisanet Member

Hi Chou,

you have mixed up a lot of things.

First. if you use "Tiger", please do _never_ follow any help which was posted for a "Leopard" system.

Second, please read the answers you'll get here (especially from ~suv, she does a great job here in this forum) vera _carefully_. If you do _not_ follow these instructions, nothing will work.

Why do I know, that you did not read the postings? The is in your log:

You did install XQuartz from http://xquartz.macosforge.org. This version is for Leopard _only_ and does _not_ run under Tiger. You may have messed up your system now. Try to remove X11 (meaning: throw it into trash, empty the Trash, and jsut to make sure,er start your Mac and see if the Trash is empty, If not empty the Trash once again)

I don't know if that will remove all of this wrong version. Maybe some X11 users forum will have more information about removing a Leopard-X11 from a Tiger system.

To get GIMP work on Tiger...
    ...~suv wrote:
    see the link? Please read the HOWTO and follow the steps there.

Short summary:
    - install X11 from the Tiger Installation DVD. Do _never_ use any other version of X11!. A Panther DVD will _not_ work. A Leoaprd version will _not_ work. Any download you find on the net, will _not_ work. Use your Tiger Installation DVD which was shipped with your Mac.
    - After installing it (read the HOWO mentioned above) run a Software Update
    - Install the correct version of GIMP for Tiger (2.6.6 is the most recent one) -> this means, drop it into your Application folder
    - double click on the GIMP icon.
    - be patient! The first time you start GIMP it will take some time. Please be patient. (GIMP is collecting informations about the fonts installed on your system)

If you do _follow_ this, GIMP will run.

If GIMP won't run, you system seems to be messed up by installing the Leopard-X11. Maybe a X11 user forum will help you to get rid of the Leoaprd-X11 on Tiger

-skl

16. lisanet

lisanet Member

Hi ~suv,

ah, I see, you've just found the same strangeness, I've posted a few secnds ago.
    and yes. That's the reason, why GIMP doesn't launch. Chou has installed the Leopard-X11 on a Tiger system....

-skl

17. lisanet

lisanet Member

uuuhhh...

The log says, that you are trying to run the installer for the GIMP Help package. This won't solve your problem or even help you to install GIMP. It will only try to install the GIMP Help package.

-skl

18. Chou

Chou New Member

Hello all

first a word of thanks. i really appreciate the kind support and detailed feedback i receive here. thank you very much for that. :)

Ok, so at least i know now that the problem lies with X11 and not with the Gimp programme. that helps.

i am not sure how the 2.1.5 version ended up on my machine. it must have been at a previous attempt to install gimp and then has never been deleted. (and yes, i won't ever mix up tiger/leopard software or instructions again - promise). i am checking for the various X11 versions on my system now, delete them and then will restart the installation process as instructed and as i had done before: X11 form start up disk (version 1.1), then software upgrade for X11 to 1.1.3.

just to explain the full screen problem i had with X11 in the past. if i only opened X11 (not gimp), it would stay open long enough for me to press option -command A (as suggested elsewhere in the forum - didn't realise this was leopard specific info), get rid of full screen, but then still quit shortly after that or as soon as i move the mouse somewhere else.

thanks again for all the assistance. will do my homework now and keep you posted.

Best

C

19. ~suv

~suv Member

Any news how it worked out for you?

~suv (just curious ;-)