1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone explain this

Discussion in 'Requests' started by andybr1ggs, May 31, 2010.

1. andybr1ggs

andybr1ggs Member

How to fade image layers using Gimp gradient/blend tool
    This post will explain how to do fading (fade out a layer) in Gimp.

Assuming you have an image open...

1.Add a new layer
    ******2.Draw the part you want faded**********
    3.Right click on the layer in the Layers panel/window and select 'Add Layer Mask', then click on Add on the Add Layer Mask dialog (making sure the default value of 'White (full opacity)' is selected).
    4.Select the Blend/Gradient tool and set the Gradient to 'FG to GB(RGB)' .
    5.On the layer click and drag a line where you want the gradient (fade) to start and finish. The first click is where it will be faded out and the second click is where it will start to fade.
    6.Right click on the layer in the Layers panel/window and select 'Apply Layer Mask'.
    That's it.

(step 2) i dont understand draw.....if theres already an image why would i need to draw....using this technique would it get me the same effect as this pic (the faded image in top)

Thanks

2. istarlome

istarlome Member

you should do the gradient on the layer mask and not the layer as stated in the tut.

your image looks like it's two or three layer (besides the text layers) the one that looks faded has the opacity turned down.

3. andybr1ggs

andybr1ggs Member

Been looking all over for a decent tut im slowly managing it :)

i just opened a image and just started manipulating it and the text.......some well good (basic) stuff that the tools do, that i thought were advanced.....best method of learning really.

istar when i am creating this image im doing a 500 x 500 but the only part of the image that will be seen is the top half triangle can i setup a 500 x 500 page that only lets me put images in this half ??

if you l@@k here youl no what i mean

team-xecuter.net

then click the top left of the screen its a 500 x 500 but can only see half.....and as you can see the £ is missing from the page.......

Thanks

(if my site was earning money i could pay for this)

hopefully fingers crossed in the future it will :)

4. istarlome

istarlome Member

i think you mean "click the top right" :)

anyways, that looks good to me. maybe make the price a bit smaller to be able to see the money sign.

i'm guessing that you want the image in the top half right corner. and you would like to only be able to draw in that half.

i don't think you can open only that part of the 500x500 but you could use the freehand select tool to create a selection of the bottom left. add a layer and fill with black or whatever color you want. that can be used as a guide if you keep this layer on top.

5. andybr1ggs

andybr1ggs Member

thanks istar

like the attached pic

6. andybr1ggs

andybr1ggs Member

i feel like a pro hows this looking so far istar....feel free to add any small tuts to make it look abit better :) im finding it difficult now to move the £14.99 around as all the layers dont move at once

any ideas

****cancel that i had to merge the layer down......but i can still see the marching ants from the alpha to selection

haha select none :)

im getting there

7. istarlome

istarlome Member

the best way to move text is to click on the text tool and then move to the text layer. click on the actual text and you will be able to move it.

8. andybr1ggs

andybr1ggs Member

9. andybr1ggs

andybr1ggs Member

Hi istar

I have done this ive extracted the mirrored image from original source.....now i need to add a gradient in same grey as that so it blends but going from left to right :) ( got it right this time ;-)

i have purposly left the grey on my image here just so you can see how its coming together

Thanks

Andy