1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Review/Recommendation

Discussion in 'Gimp Tips & Tutorials' started by colgatem, Feb 19, 2013.

1. colgatem

colgatem New Member

"The Book of Gimp: A Complete Guide to Nearly Everything"
    by Olivier Lecarme and Karine Delvare
    January 2013, 676 pp.

The Book of Gimp: A Complete Guide to Nearly Everything

I recently had the opportunity to read and review this book. This is an amazing guide to "Nearly Everything" related to Gimp. Below is the review as it is posted on Amazon.com

"The Book of Gimp: A Complete Guide to Nearly Everything"

Whether this is your first introduction to Gimp or it is your favorite software graphics application, “The Book of Gimp: A Complete Guide to Nearly Everything” will prove to be a valuable resource for learning how to use to the program and utilizing it to its full advantage.

With over 600 pages of material, at first glance, “The Book of Gimp: A Complete Guide to Nearly Everything” can be very intimidating, but it is very well thought out and covers all of the topics in great detail. The authors do an incredible job of explaining how to use the different tools and why you would want to use them. In addition, throughout the book are a number of wonderful tutorials and “hints” that the end user can apply to their everyday use of the program.

I use Gimp for photo editing and photo art. The authors include a massive amount of examples of before and after shots so you have a really good idea of how a tool or effect will correct or improve your image. The sections dealing with photography retouching, composite photography, image processing, and logos and textures were the most interesting for me. Combining these sections with a better understanding of layers, filters, and color, all found in the Reference Section, I have a discovered that I have only been scratching the surface on how powerful Gimp is. There are a number of techniques that I am looking forward to applying to my photo editing and art.

“The Book of Gimp: A Complete Guide to Nearly Everything” is an excellent introduction Gimp for the beginner and a powerful resource for the experienced user. This is the one book that I would recommend to anyone looking to take advantage of the powerful application, Gimp.

I am in no way affiliated with the authors or nostarch.com. I receive no monetary gain from the review of this book.

2. pwadm

pwadm Member

I changed the book link to point directly to Amazon. Not only it is cheaper than the link you posted (by $22), I was also able to insert my affiliate tag and few cents from every sale will go to support the forum.

Welcome to the board!