1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apply Lens Filter broken on large files

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by spaztec, Sep 25, 2010.

1. spaztec

spaztec New Member

Good morning, afternoon or evening, everybody (depending on your time zone),

I switched from using Adobe CS to Gimp and Inkscape a couple years back, and have generally found no reason to want the Adobe tools back. I've just bumped into a problem that has me confused, though.

I'm doing a project that requires a fisheye lens effect be placed over a map. When I use "Apply Lens" in the Filters|Light and Shadow menu on small files (e.g. 800x600), it gives me exactly the result I'm looking for. However, when the same filter is applied to a large file (5000x5000), it distorts color, changing the image into one tinted by several large hue bands. Applying the filter to a really huge image (10,000x10,000) causes it to exit without completing. There's no error message, but no result, either.

The original image is a vector pdf imported as a raster file, and I'm using GIMP 2.6.10p1.

I've attached the original image and the distorted filter result of the 5000x5000 one, with the res scaled down to 1000x1000 to allow folks to access it easily. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. virtualTune

virtualTune Active Member

Home Page:
    My first question would be, do you have a PC/Mac that is capable of handling such large images as 10k pixels. I know that I had trouble with images over 3k pixels with my old PC (Duo core). Obviously the colour problem is not one of your computer, but rather with GIMP.

3. spaztec

spaztec New Member

The computer in question is a 2007-era core duo 2 macbook pro with its memory maxed out at 2GB...not the fastest machine in today's world but should be able to handle 10k px images, I would think.

If Gimp is causing the color issue at the lower resolution, do you have any tips or workarounds?

4. David Wood

David Wood Moderator Staff Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    Does the image have to be 5000x5000?

5. virtualTune

virtualTune Active Member

Home Page:
  6. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

i have a 2008 think pad with... ehh... idk... 3 sec....
    Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2370 @1.73GHz
    2 gbs of ram and my pc is 32-bit if that haz anything to do with it...
    my gimp will start to lag down at 2000*2000 and when i start to try to do anything it goes slow.. and suddenly it might freeze :( :(