1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abstract Cube Wallpaper !

Discussion in 'Gimp Tips & Tutorials' started by Scrapie, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Scrapie

Scrapie Member

Home Page:
    Okay, Here I am, writing a tutorial on „How to make an Abstract Cube Wallpaper Like you can see below =D“ (such an amazing heading xD).

[​IMG]

What do we need?
    GIMP
    Blender
    Epic skiehlz... (not really xD)

Okay, Lets get started... Want Blender? Get Blender ! Where do I get Blender? On the Blender Homepage ! (w00t... thats so f*cking logical :D ) !

Blender 2.53 Beta (Newest Version I guess): http://www.blender.org/download/get-25-alpha/
    Blender 2.49 (The version im using, cuz I got problems with python on my linux =D ): http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-249/

This is a GIMP Forum, so I guess I do not have to write down the GIMP Download-Links =D

Let's get started !

Okay, this is how Blender should look like when you start it ur first time.

[​IMG]

Very self-explaining, huh? (definitely NOT xD) Well, I do not use Blender that long (for about … 2-4 days? xD), so I will not explain you everything (I'm just not able to explain, but shhhhh!).
    There's not much you need to know, but this is what you need to know:

You can change your perspective by using the scroll button on your mouse (Click it) AND by pressing your numpads. 7 is top view, 1 is front view, 3 is side view, 0 is camera-view and so on. Just play with it, you'll see, it isn't that hard.

You select objects by pressing the right mousebutton

You add new objects by pressing Space (Or, in newer versions Shift+A)

You duplicate objects by pressing Shift+D

You move objects by clicking and dragging the Red, Blue and Green Arrows. (Make sure this button is checked)

[​IMG]

Okay, next step. Change to top view by pressing 7 on your numpad. Select the Cube, by right clicking on it and duplicate it many times (I say many, I mean many. Many times !! :D ).
    To accept the duplicate, just right click somewhere.

If you are finished, it should still look like the base image... why? Because all cubes are on one place, but we do not want this, so we are going to.... yes ? .. YES ! We are going to move them =D.
    Move them (red, blue or green arrow. Left click and drag =D) randomly, that you could get a nice effect how you want it. This is how it looked for me =D

[​IMG]

Yay, almost finished with blender =D Okay, next you select every cube (by right clicking on it) and move it up or down (by dragging the arrows) that you get a nice looking effect.

[​IMG]

If you want to know how it will look if you render it, change your perspective to the camera-perspectiv (by pressing 0 on your numpad). This is how it looked for me:

[​IMG]

Now, you have to create some light, that you can see the Cubes. Its really simple. Press Space, Choose Add – Lamp – Lamp.

[​IMG]

Add for about 2 more lamps. This is how it looked for me.

[​IMG]

Almost finished ! What do we need to do now? Right ! We need to render it ! How the hack do we render in Blender? Its damn easy guys !

[​IMG]

Click on that little Image Icon, it is for the Render Settings. Ignore the first 3 menus. The only one which is importan for us is the last one. And what is what? It's very very very easy.

Well, of course you can choose the render size. I took 5000 to 3125. Why? Because it's equal to my background size (1920 to 1200). You, of course, can choose any other Size =D
    Then, choose your image-type. For transparency choose .png and check RGBA. ( A stands for Alpha, which means transparency for you =D).

Wonderful ! You got all the render settings complete ! Noohooow, render it ! Yay ! How to Render? Just press F12 (I said F12 ! Not alt+f4 xD) and the render-window will appear. You will see when it is finished. Now, it is THE time for a coffe... or for a coke... or for a beer... go and get one ! (But do not drink beer if you are not old enough, guys !).

When you come back, the render should be finished.. If not... well, get another beer ! xD No ! Don't ! xD Just wait until it is finished.

As soon as its finished you can save the rendered image... how? Eeeeh ! Its easy ! Just do File → Save Rendered Image.

[​IMG]

Save it and be happy. Now we are finished with that blender-thingy =D

Woo ! Let the Gimping begin ! (Yes I got inspired by the poem of Maffe =D)

The following thing, is very,very easy. It is something what every GIMP-User can do. Anyway, I'll show ya.

Open up GIMP with the Image you rendered and saved. Now, you see that there are spots between the Cubes and we want to make the effect as if the Light is coming through this.... space? Dont know xD But, the question is... how? I will show you.

! Create a new, transparent Layer and select it !
    First, you take your Paintbrush Tool, and draw straight lines between the cubes. Play with the scaling of your brush. This is how it should look.

How to draw straight lines? Easy ! Start drawing on one point, just click once, then hold shift and you will see =D.

[​IMG]

If you got all your lines, just Gaussian Blur it by about 100-300. Duplicate the Layer, and you will get your wished lightning effect. =D

[​IMG]

If you are happy with your lightning effect, you can merge the layers down. (Right click on the Layer → Merge Down)

But now, we want to add colors =D How the hack do we add stunning colors? =D Yay ! Gradient Mapping is the word =D w00 ! Gradient mapping !...what the hack is gradient mapping? xD

Well, you can use gradient maps for adding colors into your image, colors that fit together =D David has a tutorial on gradient mapping, which is really, really helpful (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnOtyeGIPwY ). Also theres a Gradient Mapping tutorial from a member called „Raven“ on this Forum. You guys should check it out !http://gimper.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4615

Let's continue !
    Right click on the Layer Menu and do „New From Visible“. Take your gradient tool and choose a gradient. I will show you how I got this red effect. First, I took the Gradient „Skyline polluted“.
    When you got your Gradient do Colors – Map – Gradient Map. Now, it will look weird. How to fix it? Change the layer-mode of your gradient-mapped layer to overlay. Wuhu, looks better.

Now, do „New From Visible“ again, but this time choose the Gradient „Incandascent“ and do again „Colors – Map – Gradient Map“. Set the Layer on Overlay, and you're finished ! Yay ! You made it ! Now you can call yourself „A guy with epiehkz skillz“.

[​IMG]

I hope you guys enjoyed this Tutorial, and I am sorry for my bad english, but I'm still working on it.
    To bad that I didn't get my mic working well. A Video-Tutorial would be much easier to do and to follow. Maybe I'll get it work tomorrow, which means I could do it also in a video-tutorial... Whatever...

If you got anything to add, if you wanna tell me that I'm a dumb, or if you just wanna say „Thanks“ to me, just post below ! =D I'm happy about every comment.

Cheers
    Scrapie

2. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

Images are down . . .

3. Scrapie

Scrapie Member

Home Page:
    Images up again, sorry guys = /

4. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

Very well done, now I'm into 3d things again -.-
    I thought the Unreal Developement Kit was enough :/

No seriously, nice tut, great result :)

5. Scrapie

Scrapie Member

Home Page:
    Glad you like it =D Currently Working on a Video-version with ME ! speaking in... I hate my voice xD

6. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

Very good job! It looks a lot like the original ^_^

7. David Wood

David Wood Moderator Staff Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    Nice result.

8. virtualTune

virtualTune Active Member

Home Page:
    i am still stuc with installing blender.

<------------ N00B!

9. Scrapie

Scrapie Member

Home Page:
    Whats the problem? What doesn't work? =D

10. virtualTune

Home Page:
    i dload it and then there are a bunch of files in the ZIP folder. what now? ::)

11. Scrapie

Scrapie Member

Home Page:
    Unpack the zip with winrar or 7zip or whatever and double-click the "blender" application =D

12. virtualTune

Home Page:
    that was Staples!

13. Scrapie

Scrapie Member

Home Page:
    whut? xD sorry didnt understand =D If you still got problems add me MSN ( support@scrapiefx.net ) and/or ICQ (557212783)

14. virtualTune

Home Page:
    Here in the US is a commercial for an office supply store with their slogan "That was easy". The name of the store is Staples. Get it now?

15. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

lolol ^.^

16. Scrapie

Scrapie Member

Home Page:
    Uhw, xD okay, now I got it xD

17. virtualTune

Home Page:
    what do u lol about, cyril?

18. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

at school start we got a lot of books and first i did, was crossing over the "st", "l" and "s" and write an R in front

19. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

Blender, InkScape, and Gimp work great together. =)

Very nice tutorial Scrapie.

20. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

GO OPENSOURCE!!!