1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A sneak peak at the future : AQUA GIMP

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by Auria, Mar 23, 2008.

1. andreasw

andreasw Member

oh. didn't really get your question.  ;D

2. Auria

Auria Member

smoke_tetsu : I could post fulslcreen screenshots if you really want, but the reason I posted only parts of windows is because I selected the nicest parts  ;D Some areas, for instance the image window, currently look a bit rough on the edges so posting a complete screenshot might actually ruin your good impression ;)

3. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home Page:
    Oh, I don't mind if it's rough around the edges. I would still like to see it.

4. Auria

Auria Member

As you wish

[​IMG]

5. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home Page:
    Nice, thanks.  ;D

I like how they handled the buttons on the Layers\Tool options window (for example raise layer, lower layer, etc.).

I can understand how the image windows turned out that way. The only thing that I think really needs to be fixed is how the rulers\inside are grey.. those should at least be white if not inherit the window texture in them. Even in that state I think it looks good and is good progress from The GIMP requiring its own theme.

Besides that I was happy to see that screenshot.  :wilber:

Do the scrollbars act like regular ones with the texture in the slider when you move them? Are the progress bars animated?

6. Auria

Auria Member

Actually that's not only on mac, GIMP 2.6 will have buttons like that on all platforms

scrollbars have the correct texture animation in them. I don't think the progress bar is animated though

7. andreasw

andreasw Member

It looks very nice :)

The USE GEGL thing kinda messes things up. They should move it to some other places or simply write "GEGL" instead.
    I always remove the rulers cause they are so damn ugly, and has always been :p

These also needs improvement: http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9674/bild1gt2.png

8. Auria

Auria Member

Keep in mind I'm using SVN unstable version... the GEGL checkbox will probably not appear in final versions

9. apfelnase

apfelnase New Member

gimp without X11 ... WHEN DREAM COMES TRUE ... ok, its just a beta, but it´s a beginning ...

10. lolzlolz

lolzlolz Member

Lost in thought, please send search party....
    Home Page:
    excuse me, is x11 basically gnome for macs?
    if it is i think id like to say u should stop accusing gnome of looking bad and get a theme for gnome gimpers done it in windows should be doable in macs as well that lets u make it look like a mac if its that big a deal, or just get a dif theme :p
    gnome-look.org and change one of the themes, lol :D
    o well

11. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home Page:
    You misunderstood. No, it's not GNOME for OS X. It's basically an application that lets X11 applications run in OS X, they could be from any desktop environment. You can think of it kind of like WINE... but for getting Applications you typically run under an X server (examples: Xfree86, X.org etc.) OS X doesn't use that type of windowing system it uses Quartz. So those applications need to be run through the X11 server unless they are ported to Quartz which is what this is all about.

No one is accusing GNOME of looking bad. Just that as it is right now GTK+ applications (or any other applications run through X11) aren't consistent with the OS X desktop. The new theme engine being developed for the native Mac port of GTK+ helps make The GIMP.. and other GTK+ applications more consistant with standard OS X applications including using the global menubar at the top of the screen. Things that it can't do running under X11.

People like me have been using themes to make it match our desktop environment. I've even edited some myself. The new Quartz engine will be even better because we wont have to manually change the theme for GTK+ separately whenever we change themes or upgrade our systems. Plus the widgets will act more like standard OS X widgets including animation in the scrollbars, etc.

Technically you are right though, we do need a new theme. We need the Quartz theme.  ;)  :wilber:

Besides, The GIMP technically isn't a GNOME application. It was developed before GNOME and GNOME adopted its toolkit. This has nothing to do with GNOME.

12. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home Page:
    Auria, how did you get the quartz theme to compile. I got Gimp +Quartz compiled and working and all I need now is the quartz theme. I tried downloading it from both gnome svn and from git and I get the same thing when I try to run autogen.sh

(You must have libtool installed to compile quartz-engine.
    Get http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-1.5.22.tar.gz
    (or a newer version if it is available))

I do have it installed, though. I'm trying to compile it under Tiger 10.4.11

13. Auria

Auria Member

Did you check it is recent enough? You might need to update you autotools/libtool

to be quite honest i don't quite remember what I did  ;D but updating your libtool is probably a safe bet.

14. Maidoc

Maidoc Member

Home Page:
    So, does this mean there will be better integration with Finder, Font Book and OS X in general? Aside from the slight lag, X11 does alright, aside from the fact that it seems like (Or IS) a virtualization layer, and keeps so isolated from Mac.

15. Auria

Auria Member

Maidoc : do not expect full integration right away, but the good thing is that it can come with time. We'd expect the first native version to be better integrated than the X11 one

16. andreasw

andreasw Member

any updates?

17. lisanet

lisanet Member

Currently, the next steps in the development of "GIMP on OS X" is about making GIMP run as an universal binary. This will lead us to build and support only two different packages, one for 10.5.6 Leopard and one for 10.4.11 Tiger.

And there is still more to do (make the online help functions work as the should), before I'll try to get GIMP run without X11.

IMO, there's no need of a "native" GIMP version. X11 on Tiger and on Leopard runs very stable. GIMP uses it's own widget toolkit (GTK+) and this will still be the same, even if GTK+ will run without X11. The features these widgets will provide will be identical on GTK+/X11 or GTK+/Aqua. So despite the look of the interface, there should be no real difference between the "X11 version" and the "Aqua version".

Or am I missing something?

18. andreasw

andreasw Member

* Interface would look slicker
    * Menubars would be on top
    * Commands would work like in any other app
    * It's more user-friendly since people wont have to install X11.
    * No "click to activate window" hassle.
    * You don't need to start 2 applications at launch. Therefore faster startup.
    * Better overall integration with the system.

In my book, this is much more important than a universal binary. Especially since Snow Leopard is coming out and it won't even support PPC at all. UB's were great in the transition to Intel but I'm not a big fan of that extra PPC/Intel code that does nothing but cluttering my system.

I'm no programmer so I can't help out. This is just my opinion. :)

19. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home Page:
    They are also developing a theme that would use native Mac widgets in GTK so that's another way it will be better.

20. lisanet

lisanet Member

... ok, the look of the user interface may be different

right, that's one thing, which will make user experience more consistent

this could be done already... ok, this has to be configured once

http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/guides/using_cmd

this is only true for Tiger. X11 is installed by default on Leopard.

again, this can be easily configured...

e.g. on Leopard:
    Code:
    defaults write org.x.X11 wm_click_through -bool true
    this is done automagically by GIMP. No need for the user to start X11.
    And, try to compare the startup time of GIMP/X11 with some other well known app...

Code:
    * Better overall integration with the system.
    What is this "overall integration"? The source code of GIMP won't change, if GTK+ uses Quartz / Aqua. Therefore GIMP will not provide new features.
    Just one example. By default, GIMP, GTK+, GEGL and most of the other libraries are using configuration files which will be placed in directories very unfamiliar to Mac users (you know, these hidden dot files...) To "integrate" GIMP and those libraries into OS X you have to change the source code of any of those libraries to use OS X like directories. (BTW, I've tried to do this in GIMP on OS X already)

There are still a lot of PPC Macs and Tiger systems out there. Just take a look at the download statistics oog the GIMP on OS X project. With UB it's much more easier to support these platforms and give users with PPC or Tiger systems recent GIMP versions.

As I wrote in my previos posting, someday I'll try do build GIMP/Aqua(Quartz). But IMO there are still a lot of other things to do. And of course, you can join the project and help to get it done faster....

So once again, where's the big point of a "native" GIMP?